Querrin Pier & Village Community Development Group
A Brief History of our Pier and Community
History plays a large part in all of our lives, but particularly in small rural communities. Many families have roots in
these areas that can stretch back hundreds of years. The community at Querrin is no different and we treasure and enjoy our
history. Please enjoy this series of historical local stories, compiled and written by our group secretary Robert Brown
from a variety of sources including local knowledge, personal experience and family history. Some contributions have also been
made by others and are credited.
Querrin Pier was built when the Shannon Commission was set up to build a series of piers on the River Shannon. Construction in
1842 started on the 1st April and was completed on the 31st December. Construction was carried out by Messrs. Sykes
and Brookfield, who had an average of 45 men employed daily on the project. The limestone ashlar fronting stone came by horsecart
from a quarry in Killimer. The total cost of the building of the pier was £1,160-5s-0d, of which 50% was paid by the residents of
Querrin House. The Shannon Commission left 5 beautiful granite stones around Querrin pier with S.C. engraved on them. After the
Shannon Commission had built the piers they went out of existence and the piers were handed over to the Board of Works. The piers
were built as the fishing industry was a very successful enterprise.
The river Shannon..... To continue reading this article, please click here.
Handball on Querrin Pier
During the late 1800s and early 1900s there was a resurgence of Irish Nationalism and the hope of Home Rule. In 1884 an
organisation called the Gaelic Athletic Association was formed at the behest of one Michael Cusack, a Clare man. The G.A.A.
included handball in the GAA Charter of 1884 as one of the Gaelic sports to be promoted by the new Association and the GAA
wrote the first rules for the modern game of handball. Handball had been played in Ireland for a long time and was exported
all over the world by the emigrant Irish. The only other handball alley in the district was the gable wall of the Irish
College in Carrigaholt. The ball was made of rubber and was one inch and a half in diameter; a little bigger than a golf
ball. The game was played by 2 players ‘singles’ or by 4 players ‘doubles’.
The first Handball Alley..... To continue reading this article, please click here.